Sunday, January 30, 2005

Where did it go?

I have not left behind anything of importance so far on this trip, but it's not for want of trying. I walked out the door at home three times: I came back once because I'd forgotten my poster, once because I'd forgotten to pay the rent check, and once because I thought I'd forgotten my keys. In the airport I had to backtrack when I left my book (with the boarding pass as a bookmark) on the counter. And on opening my bags this evening, I discovered that I'd left behind the little satchel where I usually keep my travel toiletries.

Oops.

On the other hand, I made substantial revisions to two papers: for one, I did something about the technical meat; and for the other, I beat LaTeX into bloody submission using a sequence of tricks. I posted my poster, and I socialized with a variety of people at the reception. So while I may give every evidence that I need my own personal sheepdog to keep herding me away from hazards, I do all right on my own.

Could you teach a sheepdog about vector calculus?