Saturday, October 09, 2004

Schweze

Rick and Sarah (my younger brother and his girlfriend) came to visit the Bay Area this week. They toured around SF on Monday and Tuesday, camped in the redwoods Wednesday and Thursday, and came to visit me in Berkeley yesterday. It was a good visit, and I may write more later, but first I want to write a recipe that I finally got from Sarah after forgetting several times to ask. This is a Burmese dessert. I've probably bungled the spelling of the name, but however it is spelled, it tastes great.

  1. 1 cup cream of wheat
  2. 1 cup sugar
  3. 1/4 tsp salt
  4. 2 can light coconut milk
  5. 2 tbsp butter
  6. 2 eggs
  7. 3/4 cup raisins
  8. 1/4 cup poppy seeds (or a bit less -- a palmful)

Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Mix together the cream of wheat, sugar, salt, coconut milk, butter, and beaten egg yolks in a sauce pot; stir and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites until they form peaks. Fold the egg whites, raisins, and poppy seeds into the mixture in the pot. Pour the mix into an 8 in square baking pan and bake at 350-400 Farenheit for 40-60 minutes, until the top is a light golden brown.