Saturday, May 03, 2003

I took some time to read fiction this evening. I finished The Briar King by Greg Keyes a few minutes ago. It has potential, I think. I reached the end and felt like I'd made it through a very intricate set-up to an interesting story. Unfortunately, the end of the set-up was also the end of the book. I'll keep an eye open for the sequel, and I'll keep my hope that Keyes has more respect for timely conclusions than Robert Jordan does.

Bai visited Berkeley today. He arrived at the office a while after 5:00, saw David G. and I pacing in circles and talking about Poisson problems, laughed, and said It's a Friday afternoon. And it was indeed. I showed Bai some of the things I've worked on recently, and we ate dinner. I like talking to Bai. He has an interesting perspective and a very big heart.

  • Currently drinking: Water