Friday, October 24, 2003

The PDE midterm, a three-problem take-home exam, was assigned this afternoon. I solved the problems and wrote solutions this evening. The questions were indeed about the same level as most of the homework, which is to say they were a good deal more humane than the problems for many classes I've taken. That still leaves me with too many tasks in my queue -- trying further to debug a particularly vexing code, running resonator simulations, learning how to solve problems involving elastic waves in a half space, and maybe computing polynomial coefficients from roots with high accuracy. It's all great fun.

I also plan to go to a dance with Winnie tomorrow. I don't know how to dance, but that's okay. And on Saturday we'll make pumpkin-based foods. Perhaps I'll have some time to read this weekend, too. If I do so, I'm not sure whether I will read more from Quicksilver or whether I'll read something technical (about fluids, statistical mechanics, microstructural defects, elastic waves, or Laguerre's iteration).

And I'll have some time to sleep, too. Come to think of it, I have some scheduled time to sleep right now.