Monday, March 22, 2004

Yesterday, Winnie and I went to Stanford, where made a lunch of garlic bread, cheese, and oranges; played frisbee barefoot in in the grass for a while; and met one of Winnie's college friends and his girlfriend. They were visiting from the East Coast. The four of us went into the city, walked along the Golden Gate Bridge, rediscovered the joys of driving in San Francisco, and ate at a nice Italian place. Then I came home and slept.

Today, we took the BART to Berkeley station and walked back home. We stopped at Black Oak Books along the way, and browsed through the used cookbooks. I have not done that in quite a while. It was a beautifully sunny day, though the breeze carried a chill with it that told of the end of our midsummer-in-March weather. I made us a cross-cultural dinner: French onion soup followed by Chinese stir fry over rice, with strawberry ice cream for dessert. We shared our meal with Patxi, Esther, and Mike. Then we watched Muppets from Space -- which I found hilarious -- and then it was late, and Winnie headed home.

Wednesday, I will be back to work. Until then, though, I'll enjoy the chance to read and play and do non-academic things.