Thursday, October 30, 2003

The math colloquium today was given by Prof Barenblatt, on the topic of mathematical modeling of turbulence. I didn't follow all the details (I rarely do in an actual talk), but I followed the general theme. And I was tremendously amused. Something about the combination of his personal presentation style and the thick Russian accent tickled me.

A quote that I found particularly entertaining:

When we submitted this paper, one of the reviewers wrote I believe the publication of this paper will severely damage the reputation of the authors. It should therefore be published immediately. The editor, upon some consideration, decided that counted as an approval, and the paper was duly published.

And now I've returned home, and it's time for some rice pudding and the beginning of the evening's exertions.