Monday, September 01, 2003

I've spent most of the Labor Day weekend thus far glorying in the fact that I can stay barefoot around the apartment. The majority of the skin from my left knee down is covered with poison ivy rash, and the right side isn't much better, but it doesn't bother me too much if I keep it clean and apply anti-itch lotion a couple times a day. Still, wearing socks right now is a trial.

I spent Saturday night with Anant and Mike and Tracy, eating food and watching The Two Towers on video. Last night, I went to dinner with Patxi and Esther and some friends, and saw Bringing Down the House. Otherwise, I spent the weekend working, reading from the Feynman physics lectures, and reading for fun. I read The Philosophical Strangler by Eric Flint, and I'm about a third of the way into Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow. I originally thought I might make a trip to Golden Gate Park this weekend, but perhaps there will be fewer people there next weekend anyhow.

My flatmate had another computer adventure this weekend. After his old machine died, he bought a little microtower to replace it. That computer had its own problems: it was prone to overheating, and the L2 cache was flaky. After it became clear that he had the choice between running slow, crashing constantly, and getting another machine, he went back to Fry's electronics for a replacement. The replacement machine, also a microtower, never even started up. Eventually, he returned the machine to Fry's for a refund and bought a new machine in an ordinary tower case, and that seems to work fine.

Patxi also chose this weekend to start a trial of the Atkins diet. Among other things, this means no coffee. I can't imagine that made his Sunday trip to Fry's any more entertaining. Makes poison ivy seem a right day in the park, it does.

  • Currently drinking: Black coffee