Friday, July 22, 2005

Its Own Worst Enemy

I like Best Software Writing I (ed Joel Spolsky) more the more I read. One of the things I like about it is that most of the selected pieces are available in electronic form, so that I can point people to them without saying Oh, but you need to buy the book to see it. That said, this is a book worth checking out, even if you're not a software developer.

I just finished reading Clay Shirky's essay A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy, a thoughtful analysis of certain aspects of social software design. I may have more comments on this later, but right now I'll just say go read it! I will also mention that I hope Pete has the opportunity to read and respond to this one, since I suspect his comments on this essay would be far more entertaining than my own.