Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Things Learned

I learned last week that it's past time for new glasses. So I'm getting an eye exam today, and will proceed from there.

In preparation for walking around half-blinded by dilated pupils, I invested in a pair of sunglasses this morning. There are some people who manage to look classy in sunglasses. For myself, I think goofy is a better adjective. I knew that before, but it's good to be reminded of these things from time to time.

In response to a user request, I'm finally getting around to putting support into FEAPMEX to allow users to define their own elements in MATLAB. Evidently I've learned something since the last time I tried to add such a feature (which must have been a while ago -- there was code there, with a comment saying that it was disabled, but I don't remember writing it). So far a very small time investment (about two hours) has led to a half-completed element -- and the half that's done appears to be pretty robust. At least it exits gracefully, with a useful error message, when I make a mistake.

Of course I learn a little every day. How could anyone help but do otherwise?